Thursday, July 24, 2008

Photo Managment in France and a 1st look at my place

Hi All, 
Yes, I did get a new camera and I LOVE it! It's the Panasonic Luminex. I gave up the better macro features, (a bit of a bummer for me Michelle, I'll might miss really great flower prOn) for the 10x zoom in a compact, which is really great for me on this job. I love the clean, sleek design and it's taking really nice pictures. It's proving easy to travel with too.

So, Jeri said in a comment from my first post form France, "We need pictures, many many pictures" and Nathan said "rub our noses in it" and he's already really jealous, (which is nice) so I have a qurey regarding images and uploading for you all...

What is the best way for me to manage and upload photos and albums of this trip? A lot of the pictures I'll be taking are work related and will soon be deleted (and never uploaded), but I'll have a lot of great, personal and scenic stuff mixed in that I want to separate out and upload to my blog or online album or something. I'm on a Mac, and am using iphoto and gmail now, but to upload to my blog seems so slow, one image at a time.

You know I'm new to the bloggisphere...so help is appreciated...keep it simple for me and have at it! Thanks!

Oh, BTW check out the first view of my B&B at 10PM...what's up with that? It stays light SO late. The church, (Fr: eglise) in the background is St. Mere Eglise. WWII buffs will know it as the place the paratrooper, John Steele hung from the spire all night after dropping down for D-Day landings before cutting himself down to join in the d'embarquement battles, (depicted in Zanuck's 60's movie, The Longest Day with John Wayne). NOW A stone statue of a paratrooper hangs on the other side of the spire, (out of view) with a real parachute, billowing in the Norman sky.

7 comments:

Nathan said...

If you're posting lots of pics and galleries, pay for a smugmug account. I seem to recall there were three levels when I signed up and I bought the one that's at the middle price. You shouldn't need the features of the professional one.

Oh...and since you're on a job, you can set up galleries for the movie and charge the account to Petty Cash.

http://smugmug.com/

Setting up galleries and categories and subcategories is a little confusing at first, but it's the best one I've found. Also, Jeri has been researching it to see how to do some other stuff I want, so you could be the beneficiary of that knowledge as well.

Oh, BTW, the whole point of this is that instead of loading a bunch of pics onto your blog, one at a time, you can just upload entire galleries to smugmug and then link various pages on your blog.

Julia said...

Why don't you use flickr or fotolog? They are both free online photo sharing tools and you could link to your album on your blog. I haven't done this with flickr but have with fotolog, and it was super easy. And super free...Not to knock Nathan's suggestion, which sounds well researched as opposed to my DIY approach.
That said, don't forget, do let us know about all the croissants and hot bread and cheese and sweets and wonderful foods you are eating. History is great and all, and you're immersed in it, I know, but really: calvados with a cheese board vs. a church spire? I guess I'm biased...
xoj

Jeri said...

I use Flickr - and installed Flickr Uploadr on my Mac, which allows me to quickly drag, drop and group-tag from iPhoto.

Then I have Flickr set up as a plugin on my blog - which you can do with blogger. Mine set up for random photo display, I'm not sure if you can do it chronologically with your most recent uploads appearing at the top of your Flickr set on your blog. That would be handiest with your travels.

There are probably lots of other ways to do it too. I have been really impressed with Smugmug, it looks like a good full-featured tool but I haven't investigated how it interfaces with Blogger or Wordpress (which is what I use).

Sub-Tropicaligal said...

Cool, Thanks guys, Julia, Jeri. I'll check into Flickr. I use blogger too. Probably wont use smugmug now Nathan, as this is NOT the movie I can pass ANY extra receipts by Accounting. I'm lucky if they pay for my laundry and they just tried to pass off my Per Diem amount in US Dollars instead of the agreed upon Euors!!!!! ARGH! Ummm just slightly different. Also, for another example of the budget crisis here: Our lovely Aussie Production team had to split a "Coke" for lunch. The peeps "upstairs" have not released ANY floats and we're all now out of pocket and quite pissy about it. ...But I wouldn't trade being here for the WORLD. It's AMAZING!

Dane said...

Hey Lady! Welcome to my old stomping ground. How I do miss Normandie! I agree whole heartily with Miss Julia: you must eat and tell so that we may salivate vicariously through you. I don't know how much free time they allow you, but you need to get to Rouen for a day or 2. I hope your allowance kicks in so I can give you some tips on some scrumptious eating spots. Rouen is where Julia Child ate truite normande at La Courrone thus prompting her passion for French food. Have fun!

hegemony57 said...

More pics. Nice words. Ari just left for NJ and NY with Rex. Think he is getting and apt with friends in Newburgh or thereabouts. Still looking to hire a few more people for the last 100 days. If you know any campaign and data people pass the on to me. Have fun.

kimby said...

I second Flicr...and since it is free, you won't have to worry about subbing receipts.
I can't wait to see all your pics..and like the others, hear about the Food!!!!!